The obelisk evokes in each of its faces a Buenos Aires historic event: the first foundation in 1536; the second and final, in 1580; the first time that the national flag was raised in the city in 1812 (in the church of St. Nicholas, which stood just where the obelisk is today); and the establishment of Buenos Aires as Argentina capital in 1880.
The work was directed by Alberto Prebisch, one of the main architects of the Argentine modernism who also directed the nearby Gran Rex theater in Corrientes and Suipacha.
White stone from Córdoba province was used to build the Obelisk. Its only entrance (west side) leads through a staircase of 206 steps and seven resting until four windows of the top.
Its height is 67.5 m. The tip is blunted, measured 40 cm and culminates in a lightning rod not be achieved by height, whose cables run inside the Obelisk. The base is 6.80 m side.
Location: Republic Square, at the intersection of 9 de Julio and Corrientes avenues. St nicolas.