The Casa Rosada is the seat of the Executive Power of Argentina. Within it is the Office of the President.
This building is located in 50 Balcarce Street, in the neighborhood of Monserrat in the City of Buenos Aires, in front of the historic Plaza de Mayo.
Its characteristic color is pink and is considered one of the most emblematic buildings of Buenos Aires. It also houses the Museum of the House of Government, with objects related to the presidents of the country. In 1942 it was declared a National Historical Monument.
The building is on what was the Royal Fortress of Don Juan Baltazar of Austria, built by Governor Fernando Ortiz de Zárate in 1594 on the then embankments of the Río de la Plata. The fortress was rebuilt in 1713, replacing it with a very simple construction of almost one hectare, surrounded by a wide moat, with four rectangular towers and, giving the Plaza Mayor -current Plaza de Mayo- a drawbridge.
The fort was partially demolished in the 1850s to build the New Customs building in its place, a project of the English architect Edward Taylor. Of the old building there was only one arch and one of the colonial buildings inside the demolished walled enclosure, which was refurbished as a government house. Under the presidency of Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, the building was painted in pink, a color that up to now retains some variations of hue through time, from pale pink to a close to orange.
It is possible to make guided visits with a previous inscription on the website: http:// visitas.casarosada.gob.ar/