Mapocho Station Cultural Center, formerly the largest train station in Santiago, was founded with the idea of celebrating the centenary of the majestic Chilean Independence, giving the capital a new rail terminal.
The European air prevailing in the architecture of the early twentieth century continued a regular line in the tastes of the people of Santiago. Thus he ordered the construction of the new train station Jecquier Emilio, who also created the Museum of Fine Arts and who study in France directly influenced by the great works created by Gustave Eiffel. <
As a result the use of large internal spaces covered with a metal structure built in Belgium and workshops that form an integral part of the panoramic views they had, and still, visitors to the station Mapocho. The facade was designed so monumental and focused on three double-height arches, enhancing its neoclassical style.
The old railway station was built between 1905 and 1912 and inaugurated in 1913.
It was majestically built to celebrate the Centenary of the Independence of Chile.
Mapocho Station became the most important national railway network. Since she could go to places like the city of Iquique, making connection with the Calera North Longitudinal Railway. In Llay - Llay is transshipped to Los Andes and then to Mendoza and Buenos Aires, through the Trans-Andean Railway.
In December 1976, by Decree No. 1290, Mapocho Station was declared a National Monument.
Years later, because the place was in a serious state of disrepair, it was decided to close temporarily for remodeling that did not bear fruit and in 1987 the terminal was closed and train service to Valparaiso suspended indefinitely.