The Central Market is in the historic center of Santiago. The building was begun in 1869 and was inaugurated on August 23, 1872.
It was declared a Historical Monument on June 15, 1984 and it gained more notoriety in 2012, when National Geographic chose it as the fifth best food market in the world.
It is one of the most characteristic gastronomic centers of Santiago, in whose restaurants it is possible to taste typical Chilean food, mainly based on seafood.
The design chosen for the building, carried out by Edward Woods and Charles Henry Driver, was a square plan defined by a central iron structure. Cast in Glasgow (Scotland)
The building has two floors and has 241 locations including restaurants, botilleries, butchers, ironworks, bakeries, fishmongers, cheese shops, grocery stores and handicrafts which are visited by thousands of tourists, both foreign and domestic.