Information about San Franscisco Church in Santiago
The oldest architectural monument that our country has is the church of San Francisco and the Convent of the Order Complex that was built between 1586 and 1628.
In 1553 the Cabildo of Santiago donated to the Franciscans in 1572 where the first church is built of adobe to house the image of "Virgen del Socorro", that Pedro de Valdivia himself wears on his horse from Peru and proclaimed Patron of the city have worked wonders for the conquerors against the hosts of Michimalonco. This construction collapses in the earthquake of 1583. The beginning of the current church was consecrated in 1618, so it stands here today one of the architectural and religious heritage of the countrys oldest.
Its design has a nave, two side and two side chapels forming a Latin cross. The south side is the church, sacristy and cloister which is the site hosting the Franciscans, the Colonial Museum and the central courtyard, with ancient trees boldos, Araucaria and peumos, and a source of fish.
In 1857 he finished fourth with neoclassical tower, which contains the clock tower and four areas. In 1881 a tower adds a flashlight or less and give more light to the ship.
Nestled in a modest neighborhood at the beginning of the republic, activity and beauty was taken in the eighteenth century with the Pergola de las Flores is located at his side. In 1913 the Franciscans sell part of its land whence the neighborhood of Paris and London streets.
The Colonial Museum has paintings, metalwork and imagery on display in its seven rooms, stand at the entrance door Baroque carved cypress, large paintings in the Sala San Pedro de Alcantara with the saints life. The Grand Chamber of 54 paintings with the life of San Francisco. Halls Locksmiths collections of the seventeenth to nineteenth centuries, including religious silverware. Gabriela Mistral in the room kept the Nobel medal and diploma obtained by the poet.
Address: No. 834 Alameda
Museum Hours: Tuesday to Saturday from 10:00 until 13:30 hours and 15:00 until 18:00. Sundays and holidays from 10:00 until 14:00 hours. Phone: (56-2) 639 8737 www.museosanfrancisco.com