Cathedral of Valparaiso

Cathedral of Valparaiso

Information about Cathedral of Valparaiso

Direccion: Chacabuco 1778 - See on the Map
Phone: +56 32 225 7200
Web: www.obispadodevalparaiso.cl

The Cathedral of Valparaíso for its location in front of Victoria Square and between Chacabuco Street and Av. Pedro Montt fulfills a milestone role in the downtown administrative and commercial sector of the city.

It began to be built in 1910 on the grounds of the palace of Juana Ross, demolished after the earthquake of 1906, with the money left by Agustín Edwards Ross for the construction of a church under the invocation of the Virgen del Carmen. The work was in charge of the engineer Juan Tonkin and was designed by the architects Cruz Montt and Ricardo Larraín Bravo.
Construction continued slowly, until it was inaugurated on January 29, 1950. The 1971 earthquake eliminated the dome and the 1985 earthquake caused further damage. After this, the church was rebuilt much it was the day of its inauguration.

Currently, this Temple also serves as the headquarters for the Holy Spirit Parish, which was previously located in front of the same Plaza but in another location, and in that first temple the Captain Arturo Prat, naval hero of the Pacific War, got married.

Recommended Hotels in Valparaiso