Information about Santa Laura Saltpeter Office
Direccion: km 47 A-16, Pozo Almonte
- See on the Map
It was declared a National Monument is located 47 km. the city of Iquique, within walking distance of the Office Humberstone and not kept in such good condition in spite of being in constant maintenance.
It was built in 1872 by William Wendell by early 1870 in Pampa Nebraska (Canton Pozo Almonte). The office stopped for the Great Depression and worked only until 1960 and was acquired by the Company of Tarapaca and Antofagasta Nitrate, sharing the fate of Humberstone.
Along with others, is one of the few that have not been totally dismantled, only saved a bit of house administration. The main existing wealth in Santa Laura is the leaching plant coupled with the crushing section and iodization plant and this is the only one of its kind in the world.
Among the ruins we can see the machinery that remind us silently and sacrificed a splendid past. We walk its streets, houses and buildings dedicated to various activities such as market, church, school, etc.