The current Cathedral of Iquique is the result of the initiative of the Vicar Apostolic Camilo Ortúzar who, after the fire that destroyed the church of Iquique on March 10, 1883, began a fund-raising campaign to build a new temple on the same site. It should be noted that between 1880 and 1885 the city suffered a wave of fires that destroyed 63 blocks, which determine the construction of a costly and complex network carrying sea water pressure to fight the fire.
Given the great flourishing city that experienced by those years, the Vicar Ortúzar it was not difficult to obtain the necessary resources. By then he had already ended the Pacific War, and the area under Chilean sovereignty, saw its golden age started, thanks to the boom of the exploitation of nitrate. Thus only a year after the fire of the old parish in May 1884, was transferred to the new church the remains of Arturo Prat and some of the other heroes of Iquique, which remained at the site until 1888.
The construction of the temple was completed in 1885, the church became the Cathedral in 1929 by creating the Diocese of Iquique.
Iquique s Cathedral was built using the technique of timber bulkhead, this is a double and 0.80 meters wide at the sides of the first level, and simple, of 0.20 meters wide at the second level, which is the upper part of the nave. The armature of the roof of the church is also in timber and the interior columns and the tower that crowns the monument.
The exterior of the church for the Italian neoclassical style, the building is rectangular in shape, quite elongated. Its facade contains three pillars of the Tuscan capital, which includes three large openings in the pointed arches, through which you access our ships. In the interior, the two aisles of the plant are separated by rows of six columns of Corinthian capital.
The monument in the Cathedral of Iquique also houses the parish attached to it, the structure is also of wood and are also in a neoclassical style. The whole show, therefore, great harmony.