The Fortress of Real Felipe is located in the bay of Callao. It is a military building built in the eighteenth century, which served to defend the port against the attacks of pirates and corsairs.
On January 21, 1747 work began with digging ditches and on August 1 of the same year the laying of the first stone was carried out.
It was one of the greatest architectural works carried out by Spain, at a cost of three million pesos. Stone blocks brought from the quarries of San Lorenzo Island and from the remains unearthed from the old walls destroyed by the catastrophes were used for this one. These blocks composed of quartzite and sandstone were reinforced with calicanto.
The name was chosen in honor of Felipe V of the House of Bourbon, who had died in those days. The building was completed during the mandate of Viceroy Manuel de Amat y Junient in 1774.
The fortress has the shape of an irregular pentagon occupying an area of 70,000 m². In each of its five vertices a bastion was built, which were baptized with the names of El Rey, La Reina, San Felipe, San Carlos and San José.