San Francisco Church, La Serena

San Francisco Church, La Serena

Information about San Francisco Church, La Serena

There in La Serena more than 29 churches whose peculiarity lies in the predominant material used as cut stone masonry, instead of the traditional adobe and tiles from the colonial period due to the proximity of the quarry at High Peñuela. The churches of La Serena are also characterized by having a greater height and ornamentation than in other cities, occupying also the site itself in the sixteenth century, unique in Canada, along with Santiago.



The Church of San Francisco de la Serena is highly representative of Latin American architecture of the late sixteenth century and is one of the oldest religious buildings of that era. Its origin dates back to 1563 with the establishment of the Franciscan Order in La Serena. Christopher Fray Juan Torrealba Ravaneda and then raise an oratorio and an adobe house. In 1585 Fray Francisco Medina, Juan Francisco Roman Carbera and initiated the construction of the present church with its Baroque facade, its white limestone walls of up to 1.20 m. wide. We used arches and buttresses. On December 25, 1627, the church was opened with the title of Our Lady of Good Hope, which was announced several changes over time.



In the seventeenth century La Serena suffered under constant attack by various pirates that invaded, plundered and inciadaron, being the most destructive attack that English Bartholomew Sharp in 1680 who completely devastated the city. However, the church and monastery were spared the looting of the privateer. The earthquakes of 1647 and especially 1730, managed to cause damage to the building, leaving the roof in bad shape. Restore is completed in 1755 and is devastated by another earthquake in 1796, the date on which part of the tower collapses, leaving it in danger.



The mining boom occurred in the second half of the nineteenth century architectural stimulates cosntrucción, remodeled the church several times in succession. This applies to the tower after the earthquake of 1796, is repaired and demolished a couple of times, until, under the command of Father Madariaga mimics the tower of the Church of San Francisco in Santiago. In 1870 he replaced the ceiling tile by another wooden tiles, and in 1896 the church so far of a Latin cross plan becomes one of three ships under one roof. Amending the facade, incorporating three symmetrical doors, particularly in neo-Renaissance style, was inaugurated in 1899.



Like other temples in India, in 1913 the tower and stucco facade. But in 1922 an earthquake destroyed the tower of the father Madariaga. In 1923 he built a new tower, this time armed ¢ n ant. The earthquake of 1975 left the church in a poor state forcing the church close to the public. In 1976 it was demolished



the concrete tower and started the restoration ¢ n of the church with the removal of stucco facades and interiors. In 1977, reopens to worship the anterior half of the church while continuing the work of restoration. The wall of the apse desaplomado has been reconstructed transverse arch braces and beams have been reset mudejares. It also recontruyó original shot tower on the two previously existing bodies. In the sacristy is a museum of religious art with sacred objects.



The monastery serves as home for higher studies of the Order from 1735 but in 1823 the Franciscans were expelled and their property confiscated. They must wait until 1832 to recoup some of their property and 1858 for the return of the cloister.

Recommended Hotels in La Serena