The Civic Center of San Carlos de Bariloche was inaugurated on March 17, 1940. It was built with cypress wood, larch and tufa stone extracted from the Cerro Carbon.
The whole was declared a national historical monument in 1987.
The walls of the buildings are built with green stones extracted from the Coal Hill that is in neighborhoods of the city and brick masonry. The stone was rough and worked to achieve the conformation of the different elements of the buildings. The buildings have numerous elements built in cypress wood and larch, such as stairs, railings, balconies, doors, ceilings that treated with varnish give the whole a warm and mountain touch.