The zoo was founded in 1924 during the government of President Jose Maria Orellana in the southern part of the city, as part of a huge area of distraction, then called Reforma Park with museums, parks and a racecourse.
In 1991 to date there have been renovations that increasingly more improve management and facilities. Later, with the conversion of a small airfield at the International Airport La Aurora Park it was intensely diminished. The remains of an old viaduct can be found around the park. In 2007, the racetrack was demolished due to further expansion of the airport.
The zoo is divided into three areas: African region, Asian region and Americas region, also with sections of farm animals, snakes and Australian fauna.