The Cathedral of Rancagua is the main catholic temple of the Diocese of Rancagua, It is located in the historical helmet of the city.
It was built by the Bishop of Santiago de Chile, Fray Diego de Medellín, in 1550, based in the old parish of El Sagrario de Santiago.
On August 30, 1854 a commission was appointed to build a new church. The works began in the times of the parish priest Francisco Troncoso (1861-1864), according to the plans of the architect Juan Herbage.
The parish was consecrated as a Cathedral by Monsignor Rafael Lira Infante on October 21, 1926, when this temple was completed exactly 50 years of existence and service to the cult.