The Cathedral Basilica Santa Maria la Antigua in Panama is a Catholic temple located in the old town of Panama City and is the largest architectural representation of Panama from the colonial era.
It was consecrated in 1796, although construction work began in 1688, 108 years earlier. The cathedral is the episcopal seat of the Archdiocese of Panama.
After being abandoned Santa María la Antigua del Darién by order of Pedro Arias de Ávila, who in 1519 had founded Panama on the South Sea, the cathedral of the new town inherited the transfer of badges, bulls and relics of Antigua of the Darién. After the fire caused to get rid of the pirate Henry Morganen in 1671, the city was transferred to the current Casco Antiguo of Panama City in 1673 and with this transfer the raising of a new Cathedral, whose construction takes 108 years, that is, 1688 to 1796.