The church stands beside the beautiful square of San Pedro de Atacama, where ancient pepper trees.
It is characterized as the largest in the area. They are constructed of adobe and a fence around this same material, which was built in 1978. The joist is mesquite tables, tied with leather straps, roof shingles and cactus, covered with mud and straw.
The current walls date from 1774, despite having been repaired between 1839 and 1843, after a fire. The adobe tower was added in 1964 to replace an older wooden airframe. It was declared a National Monument in 1951.