The Nossa Senhora Aparecida Metropolitan Cathedral, better known as the Brasilia Cathedral, is the Brasilia Metropolitan Cathedral.
The cathedral of the State of Brazil would be located in a secluded place, excluded from the main axes that order the city, thus reinforcing its monumentality. Designed by Oscar Niemeyer, its foundation stone was laid on September 12, 1958. Its structure was completed on May 31, 1970 and only 70 m in diameter of the circular area were visible. The work began in 1958 and was completed in 1971. First the structure of the main nave was finished and then it continued with the baptistery, the bell tower, the sacristy, the ramp and the water mirror. The capacity of the cathedral is to receive 4 thousand people.
Its structure is closed by a crown of 16 pilasters that give it an aspect of flower at the time of opening, this structure is also compared with the hand of a priest at the time of consecration or even with a pineapple, closed pilasters by colored glass sheets. The only ship, circular, is sunk and is 70 meters in diameter, reaching 40 meters high. The access to the temple is flanked by four gigantic statues of the Evangelists. The interior is filled with lights, shadows and colors, which makes the simple and schematic space a place full of spirituality and symbolism, characteristics that define the buildings designed by Niemeyer in Brasilia.