Capilano Suspension Bridge. Vancouver - CANADA
Direccion: 3735 Capilano Rd, North Vancouver, BC V7R 4J1, Canada
The Capilano Suspension Bridge spans the Capilano River in the District of North Vancouver, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The current bridge is 140 meters long, suspended 70 meters above the river. It is a major tourist attraction in Vancouver, attracting around 800,000 visitors a year.
The bridge was built in 1889 by George Grant Mackay, a Scottish civil engineer. Hemp ropes were used in its initial construction and cedar boards were used for the rest. In 1903, hemp was replaced by much stronger wire ropes. In 1910, Edward Mahon purchased the bridge. Mac "Maceachran bought the Bridge of Mahon, in 1935. When Mac bought the bridge he invited the natives to put up their totem poles to add a native theme to the park. In 1945, he sold the bridge to Henri Aubeneau.
In the park we can find temperate rain forests, gardens, nature trails, the largest private collection of totem poles of the First Nations of Canada, as well as costumes and exhibitions that highlight the history of the park and the surrounding temperate rain forest. Guests can also attend First Nations performances with their traditional clothing, masks, dances and storytelling. In June 2011, a new attraction called the Cliff Walk was introduced to the park.