Salvo Palace. - Uruguay
Direccion: Plaza Independencia 848
The Palacio Salvo is located between Plaza Independencia and Avenida 18 de Julio and was built by the Italian architect Mario Palanti at the request of the businessman ?ngel Salvo who was based on his previous creation in Buenos Aires, the Palacio Barolo. This emblematic Art Deco building had a design inspired by Dante's Divine Comedy.
The building was inaugurated in 1928 after six years of construction. With a height of 105 meters it was the tallest building in South America until 1935. It has 27 floors, two basements and 370 housing units.
It was built to function as an office building with a sector destined for hotels and the ground floor dedicated to commercial premises, with a passage that connects Plaza Independencia with Andes Street.
It currently has shops on the ground floor, and the upper floors are dedicated to homes and offices. Much of the ornamental elements located in the corners were removed, due to the successive landslides on the public highway