Church and Convent of St. Francis of Curimón

Church and Convent of St. Francis of Curimón

Information about Church and Convent of St. Francis of Curimón


Franciscans arrived to Curimón in the late seventeenth century, taking the evangelization of the natives of the place. At the beginning of the eighteenth century began to build their convent and church, originally built under the advocation of Santa Rosa de Viterbo, both destroyed by the earthquake of 1730. In 1733 undertook the reconstruction of buildings, which were the subject of various repairs, renovations, alterations and extensions to time.



The church has walls of adobe between 1 and 1.2 meters thick. Forms a volume of 48 meters long by 8.6 wide, single nave, adjoining which there is a portico of oak, in which four columns hold three pointed arches, on the porch stands a tower of two bodies, both elements were built in the late nineteenth century. The armature of the roof is of peers, and knuckle strap, originally patagua and cinnamon.



As the church, the walls of the two cloisters are of adobe, of 0.6 meters thick. Are arranged in the form next to the church, and wide corridors with pillars algarrobo separated from the central courtyard.



The church was erected as a parish of San Felipe in 1927.



The Convent of Curimón was the scene of important historical facts. At the site was signed the minutes of the founding of San Felipe El Real, August 4, 1740. Moreover their cloisters housed the officers of the Liberation Army shortly before the deal with realistic Cahcabuco in 1817. Currently the joint manifestation of the colonial style typical of the central valley, looks good and is integrated into the rural landscape that surrounds it.

Recommended Hotels in San Felipe