National Museum of Beirut. - Lebanon
Direccion: Museum Street, Bayrut, Libano
Phone: +961 1 426 703
The National Museum of Beirut was inaugurated in 1942, the most important of the museum are the pieces found in the Lebanese territory from Prehistory to the Ottoman Empire.
The history of the National Museum of Lebanon began in 1919 with a small group of old supplies, which had been collected by Raymond Weill, a French officer stationed in Lebanon. These objects were temporarily exhibited in a temporary building. In 1923 a committee was created with the task of raising funds to build a museum, on the road to Damascus, near the racecourse. The plans presented by the architects Antoine Nahas and Pierre Leprince Ringuet were accepted by the committee, which was led by Bechara El Khoury, then Prime Minister and Minister of Education and Fine Arts of Lebanon. The construction of the building began in 1930, being finished in 1937. The museum was inaugurated on May 27, 1942 by Alfred Naccache, then president of the Lebanese Republic.