Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes. Toledo - Spain
Direccion: Calle de los Reyes Catolicos, 17, 45002 Toledo, Espana
Phone: +34 925 22 38 02
The Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes in Toledo, was ordered to be built by the Catholic Monarchs in 1476 in commemoration of the birth of his son Juan and the battle of Toro, in which the troops that supported Isabel and Fernando, defeated the hosts of the king of Portugal Alfonso V de Avis.
The church has a single nave covered with ribbed vaults, with a starry dome over the presbytery, high choir and side chapels between the buttresses, highlighting the abundant decoration that adorns the cruise and the main chapel. In the latter, the decorative scheme is based on orthopic arches and shields of the Catholic Monarchs supported by eagles of San Juan.
Through a small door you can access the cloister, masterpiece of Enrique Egas, composed of four wings open to a patio through large windows of flamboyant tracery, bordered by a frieze with plant and animal decoration. On the upper floor is the beautiful polychrome roof that repeats, as an ornamental motif, emblems, weapons and initials of Isabel and Fernando, made in Mudejar style.
On its main facade appears the traditional Elizabethan decoration, formed by statues, blind arches, pinnacles and balls. In her they emphasize the chains of the captive Christians who were released by Fernando the Catholic in the taking of Malaga and Baeza.
Work began in 1477, ending both the church and the cloister at the beginning of the 16th century.