The Metropolitan Cathedral of Santa Ana or Caracas Cathedral is the main Temple, due to its history and location, of the city of Caracas, and headquarters of the Archdiocese of Caracas; It is located in the historic center of the city in the Cathedral Parish of the Libertador Municipality, next to the renowned Plaza Bol?var de Caracas.
In 1567, in the area that today is occupied by the cathedral of Caracas, there was a church in honor of the Apostle Santiago. This building was destroyed by an earthquake in 1641.
Its facade is from 1771, the work of Francisco Andr?s de Meneses. Damaged by the 1812 earthquake, its tower (which gives its name to one of the corners of Caracas) was reduced in size. In 1866 a frontispiece is built on its facade. In 1932 and the 1960s restoration and modification works are made throughout the temple. Highlights include the colonial chapels of the Trinity (where the remains of Sim?n Bol?var's parents and wife), P?pulo and Pilar. It was dedicated to Santa Ana, mother of the Virgin Mary.