Yakage Town Japanese Sweet-Making Workshop
As one of the oldest Japanese traditional sweet makers in Okayama prefecture, Sato Gyokuundo has been delighting customers for over 180 years. The signature products of this shop include the yuzu (a citrus hybrid of sour mandarin and Ichang papeda) orange that has been preserved, the sweet potato cracker with special flowers placed in the center, about 90 different varieties of flowers are used each year. Lastly, a mixture of honey, citrus and rice flour steamed together to produce a brown gelatin sweet which is wrapped in a bamboo leaf. The shop offers a relaxing atmosphere where you can taste test the sweets before buying.
In collaboration with the town, Sato Gyokuundo offers a special sweet making workshop where you can learn from the owner herself, some of their iconic sweets.
• A brief introduction to the history of the shop and the sweets made over the last 180 years.
• Taste samples of the different sweets, served with local tea that helps enhance the flavor of the sweets.
• Prepare the table and get familiar with the equipment that will be used.
• Do the sweets workshop, learning how to cut, fold and twist the sweet.
• Relax afterwards and eat the rewards of the workshop.
• Time to shop and purchase sweets to take away with you.
"Confirmation will be received at time of booking"
"Children must be accompanied by an adult"
"May be operated by a multi-lingual guide"
"A minimum of 4 people per booking is required"
"This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate"
10:00am, 11:00am, 13:00pm, 14:00pm, 16:00pm, 17:00pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Duration: 45 To 90 Minutes
Workshop meeting point is Yakage Machiya Shop and Event Complex.
Cancellations and refunds:
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.