Guided Tour to the Historical Center on a Tuk Tuk
We provide unique explorations of Porto, and we will take you to discover a different and charming city. See the Douro river from several fantastic viewpoints in Porto and Gaia, get to know the city in a relaxed way, take a ride through various places in our charming vehicles, and hear stories that the city has to tell in every corner, and which make Porto and its people unique. Enjoy the ride with a glass full of the flavor and intensity of a good port wine. Porto was nominated three times, and was elected three times, as the best European destination. As you can see, you have all the reasons to know Porto like nobody else will, to discover every nook and cranny, and marvel at the brilliance and splendor of a city that is full of character and passion.Itinerary
This is a typical itinerary for this productStop At:
Porto Cathedral (Se Catedral), Terreiro Se, Porto 4050-573 Portugal
Construction dating from the twelfth/thirteenth century, in Romanesque style, that has been enlarged and renewed over the years up to its final setting, in the twentieth century, resulting in an idealized reconstitution of the medieval cathedral. Special mention goes to: the Gothic São João Evangelista Chapel and the cloister, from the fourteenth century; the enlargement of the main chapel, the Santíssimo Sacramento Chapel and its silver altar, from the eighteenth century (mannerist); the eighteenth century Baroque frescos in the main chapel and the sacristy, by Nicolau Nasoni, and the tiles in the cloister, by Vital Rifarto; the sculpture in the Baptism Chapel, by Teixeira Lopes (father) from the nineteenth century.
Duration: 10 minutesStop At:
Pelourinho Se Catedral Porto, Terreiro Se 3, Porto 4050-573 Portugal
Following the national policy imposed by the Estado Novo, the buildings surrounding the Cathedral, the Casa do Cabido and the Bishop's Palace, were demolished in 1940. A paved terrace was built instead, where a stone monument representing local government (pelourinho) was placed. The monument, which was constructed 1945, was reproduction of a drawing dating back to 1797.
Duration: 5 minutesStop At:
Paco Episcopal, Terreiro Se 3, Porto 4050-573 Portugal
It was probably built in the 13th century, although it might be founded on an older construction.
In 1737 it was remodelled; the changes were designed by Nicolau Nasoni, according to some authors.
The main façade is open by a full arch flanked by pilasters and topped by a decorated fronton.
The central window has a stone balustrade and the fronton - that exceeds the entablature - reveals the coat of arms of Bishop D. Rafael de Mendonça.
The lateral façades present equally framed windows with magnificent frontons.
Duration: 5 minutesStop At:
Sao Bento Railway Station, Praca Almeida Garrett, Porto 4000-069 Portugal
Located in the centre of the city and built in the early 20th century, it has a glass and cast iron roof designed by the architect Marques da Silva. The lobby is covered with twenty thousand narrative tiles by the painter Jorge Colaço.
Duration: 10 minutesPass By:
Avenida dos Aliados, Av. dos Aliados 266, 4000-010 Porto, Portugal
The square has its origins in the beginning of the 18th century. It was in 1718 that a project for the urbanisation of the area begun, which resulted in the creation of new streets and an ample square, known as Praça Nova (New Square). The square was initially limited by the medieval walls of the city and by urban palaces, all of which are now lost.Pass By:
Praca de Carlos Alberto, Porto 4050-158 Portugal
During centuries it was called Praça dos Ferradores (Square of Blacksmiths), who had their workshops there.In the 18th century, the Palace of Viscondes de Balsemão was built in the east side of the Square. Rented out at a later time, it served as a guesthouse and hosted the king Charles Alber from Sardinia that came exiled to Porto. In his honour the Square bears its current name. In the garden's centre, a monument by Henrique Moreira remembers the Portuguese who died during the Great War 1914-18.Stop At:
Fonte dos Leoes, Praca Gomes Teixeira 10, Porto 4050-290 Portugal
The Fountain of the Lions (Portuguese: Fonte dos Leões), is a 19th-century fountain built by French company Compagnie Générale des Eaux pour l'Etranger. Cast by the Val d’Osne foundry in France, it is a copy, in most part, of the fountain in the Town Hall Square of Leicester, England
Duration: 5 minutesStop At:
Igreja dos Carmelitas, Rua Carmo Vitória, Porto 4050-164 Portugal
Seventeenth century church whose classical façade dates from the 1850s. The project has been attributed to the architect/painter Nicolau Nasoni. The altarpiece, of Porto rococo style, was considered to be a stylistically revolutionary piece. Building designated national monument.
Duration: 5 minutesStop At:
Igreja do Carmo, Rua Carmo, Porto 4050-164 Portugal
Church built in the second half of the eighteenth century. Due to its architecture and interior carvings, it is considered to be one of the most remarkable buildings of Porto rococo. In 1912, its lateral façade was covered with tiles. The drawings on those tiles were designed by Silvestre Silvestri. They are figurative compositions alluding to the cult of Nossa Senhora (Our Lady). Building designated national monument.
Duration: 5 minutesPass By:
Jardim de Joao Chagas, Campo Martires da Patria, Porto 4050-368 Portugal
Better known as Cordoaria Garden, this garden has been called João Chagas Garden since 1924. The name by which it is best known is due to the activity of the rope makers who stayed here - in the new rope maker's - for about 200 years. In the nineteenth century, the Municipality decided to transform the Praça da Cordoaria into a public area. The project, by the German landscaper Emile David, was built in 1865/1866. In the garden there are statues of Ramalho Ortigão and António Nobre and a set of sculptures by Juan Muñoz from 2001, as well as "O rapto de Ganímedes" (Kidnapping of Ganímedes). In the scope of Porto 2001, European Capital of Culture, this garden underwent remodelling.Pass By:
Antiga Cadeia da Relacao, Campo Martires da Patria, Porto 4050-368 Portugal
Granite building, dating from 1582, rebuilt in 1767 in neo-classical style, according to the design of the architect Eugénio dos Santos, by initiative of João de Almada e Melo and financed by Companhia Geral da Agrigultura das Vinhas do Alto Douro. It presents a geometric sequence of windows (103 on the whole). This polygonal-shaped building has 4 façades, two of which are related to its main functions: the main façade, on Rua de São Bento da Vitória, allows you to enter the Court sector. The other façade, opened to the Cordoaria Garden, was formerly constructed for the direct passage of prisoners and is currently the building's main entrance. Camilo Castelo Branco, who was one of Portugal's most famous writers and was charged with adultery as well as the famous Zé do Telhado who was charged with theft were kept here. Between 1999 and 2002 the building was restored under the direction of Eduardo Souto de Moura and Humberto Vieira, to become the current Portuguese Centre for Photography, including an exhibition centre.Stop At:
Torre dos Clerigos, Rua Sao Filipe Neri, Porto 4050-546 Portugal
The Clérigos Church is a Baroque church in the city of Porto, in Portugal. Its tall bell tower, the Torre dos Clérigos, can be seen from various points of the city and is one of its most characteristic symbols.
Duration: 10 minutesPass By:
Mosteiro de Sao Bento da Vitoria, R. de Sao Bento da Vitoria 45, 4050-139 Porto, Porto 4050-139 Portugal
Dating back the late sixteenth century, it was declared a National Monument in 1977, and is one of the most important religious buildings in the city. Between 1985 and 1990, the IPPAR submitted the Monastery for restoration, allowing its occupation by the Benedictine monks, the Porto National Orchestra and the Porto District Archives. In the scope of Porto 2001 - European Capital of Culture, the Noble Cloister was covered by an acoustic shell. In 2007, the State attributed to TNSJ (Teatro Nacional de S. João) a significant part of the building - east wing and part of south wing and the Noble Cloister where theatrical performances, concerts and special events from its programme are held, while still welcoming other initiatives of a different nature. The Monastery (Cloister) has a flexible capacity, depending on the nature of the activities to be held: Theatre/Concert: 320 people; Seated dinner: 500 people; Buffet Dinner / other initiatives: 700 peoplePass By:
Igreja Paroquial de Nossa Senhora da Vitoria, R. de Sao Bento da Vitoria 2A, Porto 4050-633 Portugal
The church began to be built in 1755, following the initiative of bishop D. Frei António de Sousa, and was finished in 1769. It was badly damaged during the Porto Siege and also by a fire in 1874 that destructed its main altar. Special mention goes to the wood carving of the altars, the pulpits and the valance of the main arch, designed and produced by the most remarkable artists of rococo in Porto - Francisco Pereira Campanhã and José Teixeira Guimarães. The sculpture of the Virgin on the main altar was made by the sculptor Soares dos Reis, except for its face that was ordered to a local saint-maker.Stop At:
Miradouro da Vitoria, Rua Sao Bento da Vitoria 11, Porto 4050-543 Portugal
From the square next to this church, you can enjoy an interesting view of the Cathedral and the Bishop's Palace, over the houses of the parish of Vitória, as well as over the River Douro, the D. Luis I Bridge and the Gaia riverside.
Duration: 10 minutesPass By:
Liberdade Square, Avenida dos Aliados Baixa, Porto 4000-322 Portugal
In the18th century, in the place of the so called 'Campo das Hortas`, was inaugurated the Praça Nova (New Square) - the city's political and cultural centre. The City Hall stood on the northern side of the old square, and it was demolished when the Avenida dos Aliados was built. This wide avenue, flanked by a group of buildings from the 20s and 40s, is closed on the southern side by the Cardosas building (19th century), and at North by the City Hall. In the centre of the Praça da Liberdade (Liberty Square) stands the king's D. Pedro IV statue, inaugurated in 1866.Pass By:
Monumento a Dom Pedro IV, Porto Portugal
Made by Célestin Anatole Calmels (sculpture) and Joaquim da Costa Lima (architecture), this statue was unveiled in October 1866. The monument is made up of a base on which the two-sided pedestal stands. One of the surfaces show the donation of D. Pedro's heart to Porto's representatives, and the other represents the arrival in Mindelo. The statue that stands on the pedestal, which was cast in Belgium, represents D. Pedro offering the constitutional charter to the city. Stop At:
Livraria Lello, Rua Carmelitas 144 Vitória, Porto 4050-161 Portugal
The building where the library is now located was inaugurated in 1906. Special mention goes to its beautiful Art Nouveau façade with neo-Gothic details. On the inside, the library is decorated in painted plaster imitating wood and presents a magnificent staircase linking it to the upper floor - one of the first reinforced concrete works in Porto. Also worthy of attention is the huge stained-glass skylight, bearing the library's monogram and motto: 'Decus in Labore'. In 2008, the English newspaper The Guardian considered this library the world's third most beautiful, as did the Lonely Planet in its guide "Lonely Planet's Best in Travel 2011", describing it as an 'Art Nouveau gem', and particularly mentioning its 'neo-Gothic shelves' and the 'lolloping red staircase'.
Duration: 10 minutesPass By:
Alfandega Porto Congress Centre, Rua Nova da Alfandega, Porto 4050-430 Portugal
A neoclassical building, built in the 19th century, according to a project carried out by the engineer Jean F. G. Colson. It has two facades, one facing the Douro river and one facing the city. Note the structural solutions that resorted to the use of iron in conjunction with other materials - stone, brick or wood - depending on the functionality of the different spaces. In 1987, it was decided to house the future Museum of Transport and Communications, in the building belonging to the Association with the same name. For this, restoration and adaptation works were carried out, according to the project by the architect Eduardo Souto Moura. The Association for the Transport and Communications Museum (Associação para o Museu dos Transportes e Comunicações-A.M.T.C) also manages a Congress Centre, spread across various areas in the Building of Alfândega Nova do Porto. Pass By:
Igreja de Sao Francisco, Rua do Infante D. Henrique, Porto 4050-297 Portugal
The city's most important Gothic temple, whose construction began in the fourteenth century. It is one of the most important works of the Baroque, by its gilded interior from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. It was the exuberance of its gild carved wood work that led Count Raczinsky to describe it as the 'Church of Gold'. And, overwhelmed, he adds: 'The gild of this church is so beautiful and rich that goes far beyond everything I have seen in Portugal and in the whole world'. It is worth of notice the Tree of Jesse, as well as the catacombs. It is a National Monument since 1910 and World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO since 1996.Pass By:
Palacio da Bolsa, Rua Ferreira Borges S/N Um Monumento digníssimo de ser visitado e admirado, Porto 4050-253 Portugal
A National Monument, the Palácio da Bolsa (Stock Exchange Palace) is the property and headquarters of the Commercial Association of Porto. It was designed by Joaquim da Costa Lima in a neoclassical style in 1842. Situated in the historical centre, it is one of the most visited monuments with the famous Arabian Room being its major highlight. A Cultural and Conference Centre, the Stock Exchange Palace is a venue with unique conditions for hosting events and excellent initiatives. Included in the Urban Wine Route. Accessible for people with reduced mobility through a side entrance.Pass By:
Jardim do Infante Dom Henrique, Rua Infante Dom Henrique, Porto 4050-298 Portugal
Existing since 1885, this square is surrounded by Mercado Ferreira Borges and Palácio da Bolsa, located in the historical center.
Here, there is a small garden, under which an underground car park was built and a Monument to the Infante D. Henrique, inaugurated on the occasion of the 5th centenary of his death. Its construction started in 1894, was completed in 1900, and represents the triumph of Portuguese navigation and faith.Pass By:
Mercado Ferreira Borges, R. da Bolsa 19 Rua Ferreira Borges, Porto 4050-253 Portugal
This market was built in 1885, by order of the City Council, in order to replace the old Mercado da Ribeira (Ribeira Market). It operated as a market for a very short period of time, having been used for various purposes. It represtents an important example of iron architecture in Porto, which was later renovated to become an entertainment venue, where Hard Club is now located.Pass By:
Ponte de Dom Luis I, Pte. Luiz I, Porto Portugal
Planned by the engineer Teófilo Seyrig, a disciple of Eiffel, it was inaugurated in 1886 and it is composed by two overlapping iron decks. The bridge has 395 metres long and 8 metres wide, and its arch is still considered to be the world's biggest one in forged iron. Nowadays the upper deck is used by the Metro of Porto, connecting the area of Porto's Cathedral to the Garden of Morro and to the Avenida da República in Vila Nova de Gaia. Stop At:
Mosteiro da Serra do Pilar, Largo de Aviz, Vila Nova de Gaia 4430-329 Portugal
World Cultural Heritage, it started being built in 1538, and was concluded only around 1670. At first it was created in order to accommodate the Augustinian Friars of the Monastery of Grijó. Later, during the Civil War of 1832-1834, the liberal army settled in the monastery. As a result of the war and of the constant attacks it suffered, it was in a terrible state of disrepair and neglect, until in 1834 with the creation of the Royal Brotherhood of Lady of the Pilar, and later the Group of Friends of the Monastery of Serra do Pilar, in 1925, the whole building was recovered. The church, of circular plan, has the dome surrounded by a balcony; the cloister is also circular, with 36 Ionic columns, the only example in Portugal. From its grand terrace one can see the whole riverside area of Porto and Gaia until the Arrábida Bridge, and the historic center, with emphasis on the Cathedral and D. Luís I bridge. In the opposite direction one can see that the zone of Fontainhas and the São João bridge.
Duration: 15 minutesPass By:
Ponte Infante D. Henrique, Rua das Fontainhas, Porto Portugal
The bridge was inaugurated in 30 March 2003 following a project by the engineer Adão da Fonseca. It was built to replace the upper deck lane of the D. Luís I Bridge, used now by the metro line D . With a 371 metres long and 20 metres wide deck, it is a Maillart-type arch bridge, built at a high altitude level, presenting a span-rise ratio of 11,2, with a 280 m arch span - a world record, it is considered by the world experts to be one of the most elegant of its type. It connects the Fontaínhas area to the Parish of Oliveira do Douro in Vila Nova de Gaia. Pass By:
Teatro Nacional Sao Joao, Praca da Batalha,, Porto 4000-102 Portugal
This classic building was constructed in 1910 on top of the ruins of the Real Theatre which burned down in 1908. With stylistic emblems representing pain, quality, hate and love. The main façade is inspired by its renovation in the style of Luís XVI, which is typical of the early years of the 20th Century, namely in France. Designed by Marques da Silva, it is considered a building of public interest. His main objectives were the creation and presentation of theatre shows, of various genres, and the encouragement of better public availability of specialist, classic and contemporary theatre works, spanning through the national and international drama repertoire. As well as the National Theatre São João, head-office, the building connects the Carlos Alberto Theatre to the São Bento da Vitória monastery.
"Confirmation will be received at time of booking"
"Not wheelchair accessible"
"Children must be accompanied by an adult"
"At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time"
"Refunds will not be issued if tour/activity is missed due to late or non-arrival of cruise ship"
"A minimum of 2 people per booking is required"
"Service animals allowed"
"Near public transportation"
"Infants must sit on laps"
"Most travelers can participate"
"This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund"
"This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate"
Duration: 2 Hours
Calçada de Vandoma, 4000 Porto, Portugal
Cancellations and refunds:
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.